Dilled Potato-Leek Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Herb potato chips and finely shredded leeks, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, carrot, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Whisk a small amount of soup into buttermilk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add dill; heat through (do not boil). Garnish if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 133 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 695mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 9, 2014
Comes out beautifully
Oct 28, 2014
This is such a delicious addictive soup - perfect for fall! I went generous on the leeks (using 2 entire units) and used quartered baby potatoes (skins on), and only partially pureed the soup (leaving it mostly chunky). It turned out so well!
Jan 19, 2014
This is a very good soup. I added 2 sliced carrots & then cut them in 1/2 & I added 1 more stalk of celery as I had them in the house. I doubled the recipe as I always bring my friend some. I added in 4 pieces of fried bacon crumbled. I had some green onions so I chopped those up too. It's been very cold here in Chicagoland so soup is a must. I put out shredded cheddar cheese to put on top of the soup. Excellent!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.