Stuffed Whole Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large head cabbage (4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine sauce ingredients; set aside. In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; remove from the heat and drain.
- Leaving a 1-in. shell and the core intact, cut out and chop the inside of the cabbage. To beef, add 1 cup chopped cabbage, 1 cup sauce, rice, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into cabbage shell.
- Place 2 cups water, the remaining chopped cabbage and the remaining sauce in a Dutch oven; mix well. Carefully add stuffed cabbage, meat side up. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until whole cabbage is tender. Remove cabbage to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and remaining water; add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 2 minutes. Pour over the cabbage; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cut into wedges to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 9g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2011
This is a great alternative to the traditional rolled stuffed cabbage leaves. It is quick and easy to prepare and you can make it in your crock pot or 325 degree oven for a longer cooking period. I have made this many times and added a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a sprinkle of ground allspice....DELICIOUS!