Bacon Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain; cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, eggs, sour cream, 1 tablespoon butter and salt. Spoon over potatoes and toss to coat. Place half of the potato mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Toss bread crumbs with remaining butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160° and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 460 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 1045mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Apr 27, 2016
Apache I would make the recipe as is and check to make sure it doesn't get dry. If it does you could add a small amount of milk and recheck every so often. Hope this helps.
Mar 6, 2016
Hi, I have a question it is probably a dumb one but I wanted to know when you put these in the crock pot, do you add water? and if so how much? Thanks so much for any help anybody can give me. :) I did give it 3 stars, just because it looks delicious.
Nov 27, 2012
I also added onion for flavor. Next time I will probably do in slow cooker. Potatoes got to soft after boiling them. Were more like mashed potatoes. They were a nice change though.
May 14, 2012
Add some grated onion to give a little more flavor.
Mar 18, 2012
My family enjoyed this recipe very much I followed the direction in putting it together but I did put it in the slow cooker to bake. I just left the lid slightly off to keep the bread from getting moist. It was a nice change to our regular mashed potato side.
Mar 8, 2012
This recipe was alright. Not too much savory flavor, but ok to eat for something different.
Nov 28, 2011
I made this for Thanksgiving dinner. I used 5 pounds of (unpeeled) red potatoes. Next time I won't waste my time slicing the potatoes I will just mash them. I also didn't have any room in the oven to bake it, so I put it in the crock pot on high for 1-2 hours until the cheese was melted and then on warm until it was time to eat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.