Bacon Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain; cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, eggs, sour cream, 1 tablespoon butter and salt. Spoon over potatoes and toss to coat. Place half of the potato mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Toss bread crumbs with remaining butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160° and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 460 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 1045mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Apr 27, 2016
Apache I would make the recipe as is and check to make sure it doesn't get dry. If it does you could add a small amount of milk and recheck every so often. Hope this helps.
Mar 6, 2016
Hi, I have a question it is probably a dumb one but I wanted to know when you put these in the crock pot, do you add water? and if so how much? Thanks so much for any help anybody can give me. :) I did give it 3 stars, just because it looks delicious.
Nov 27, 2012
I also added onion for flavor. Next time I will probably do in slow cooker. Potatoes got to soft after boiling them. Were more like mashed potatoes. They were a nice change though.
May 14, 2012
Add some grated onion to give a little more flavor.
Mar 18, 2012
My family enjoyed this recipe very much I followed the direction in putting it together but I did put it in the slow cooker to bake. I just left the lid slightly off to keep the bread from getting moist. It was a nice change to our regular mashed potato side.
Mar 8, 2012
This recipe was alright. Not too much savory flavor, but ok to eat for something different.
Nov 28, 2011
I made this for Thanksgiving dinner. I used 5 pounds of (unpeeled) red potatoes. Next time I won't waste my time slicing the potatoes I will just mash them. I also didn't have any room in the oven to bake it, so I put it in the crock pot on high for 1-2 hours until the cheese was melted and then on warm until it was time to eat.