Jim’s Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cooked
- Chives, shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits, optional
- In a 3-qt. Dutch oven or kettle, saute celery, carrot and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add bouillon, parsley, salt, seasoned salt and cayenne. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cube half of the potatoes and mash the other half; add all to the soup. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Garnish individual servings with chives, cheese and bacon bits if desired.
Sep 11, 2017
This has been my go to potato soup recipe ever since TOH published it. It is thick, tasty, and extremely good. I didn't have to mash some of the potatoes; I just added a little cornstarch and cold water to thicken it up a bit. I would highly recommend this soup for the whole family!
Jan 4, 2016
Our family has been making this soup for several years and we all love it. I make it exactly as written, perfect.
Mar 20, 2013
I have been using this recipe since it was first published and the whole family loves it.I do not change a thing.
Nov 9, 2011
I have used this recipe for years. It's a great stand-by. I pretty much make as is except eliminate the cayenne pepper as we tend to not like a "bite" to our food. The whole family loves it!