The Best Ever Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep Time: 20 minutes, Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each ) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, optional
- In a 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil, butter and pepper flakes over medium heat until butter is melted. Add carrots and onion; cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and dried basil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, to let flavors blend, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Using a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. If desired, slowly stir in heavy cream, stirring continuously to incorporate; return to stove to heat through. If desired, top with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 104 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 5, 2019
I skipped the whipping cream - didn't want the extra fat and calories. Once you blend it, it's so smooth and creamy, you don't need the whipping cream. New fave recipe. Thank you for sharing this!
Jan 6, 2019
This is very flavorful and so easy to make!
Dec 28, 2018
This soup is bright with flavor and is great to dunk The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich into. A match made in heaven! So satisfying!
Oct 17, 2018
This recipe is awesome! Because I had some homegrown tomatoes to use up, I substituted 10½ cups of fresh, peeled and seeded tomatoes for the canned. I also substituted chipotle chile powder for the red pepper flakes. The soup was amazing! The addition of whipping cream and fresh basil leaves really put it over the top! I will definitely be making this again!