Potato Beer Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salad croutons, crumbled cooked bacon, minced chives and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place the potatoes, onion and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly (do not drain). In a blender, cover and process mixture in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through.
- Stir in the milk, beer, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, salt, mustard and white pepper; heat through. Stir in cheese just until melted. If desired, top with croutons, bacon, chives and/or pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 211 calories, 9g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 2, 2016
pretty good twist on old family fave, yes, definitely on the celery. Wouldn't be the same. Don't blend the soup tho, just take a potato masher to the cooked veg. For a richer soup, cut back on milk amt . Thanks
Oct 31, 2015
This is a most enjoyable soup. I too added some celery to the potatoes. I saut?ed them in olive oil along with the onions. I used less beer and milk. The consistency is nice. Its not a thick, heavy soup. I also held back on 2 cups of the chopped potatoes. Then added them to the processed soup. Mine looked more like a chowder.Janie Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor.
Oct 9, 2015
Very good soup for a cool autmn evening. Used all ingredients that the recipe called for, but also added some chopped celery and carrots to the potatoes before cooking. Also, used jalepeno cheddar cheese for a little more flavor. Will certainly make again.