Maryland-Style Crab Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 2 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh or lump crabmeat, drained
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first sixteen ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in crab. Cook, covered, on low 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 202 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1111mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 25, 2017
Lived in Maryland for a number of years and this is just how I remember crab soup. Recipe needs more liquid. I use a carton of vegetable stock instead of the water.
Jun 2, 2017
I have been making crab soup for many years, this recipe is by far the best. I did have to add more liquid to it. I will be using the recipe more, thanks!
Feb 19, 2016
Wonderful Soup designed for Lent