Maryland-Style Crab Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 2 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh or lump crabmeat, drained
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 16 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in crab. Cook, covered, on low 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 202 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1111mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 29, 2019
This is the first time I made a red base crab soup, and I will definitely be making this again. It is spicy, but I like spicy. Just put less seafood seasoning if you don't like spicy. I added 4 extra cups of water and used Taste of Homes beef stock concentrate. This is a keeper.
Aug 25, 2017
Lived in Maryland for a number of years and this is just how I remember crab soup. Recipe needs more liquid. I use a carton of vegetable stock instead of the water.
Jun 2, 2017
I have been making crab soup for many years, this recipe is by far the best. I did have to add more liquid to it. I will be using the recipe more, thanks!
Feb 19, 2016
Wonderful Soup designed for Lent