Classic Crab Boil
Dig in to Dungeness crab boiled in a special mix of spices. —Matthew Hass, Franklin, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep:10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 quarts water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 whole live Dungeness crab (2 pounds each)
- Melted butter and lemon wedges
- Place first seven ingredients on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string.
- In a large stockpot, bring water, salt, lemon juice, cayenne and spice bag to a boil. Using tongs, add crab to stockpot; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until shells turn bright red, about 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove crab from pot. Run under cold water or plunge into ice water. Serve with melted butter and lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 crab: 245 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 956mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Classic Crab Boil in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.