Aunt Nancy’s Cream of Crab Soup
My sister, Nancy, is one of the best cooks I know. When my daughter was getting married, I put together a cookbook of her favorite family recipes—Nancy's soup was a must-have. Our family often had this with a salad before Christmas Eve services. —Lynne German, Woodland Hills, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons finely grated onion
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and bouillon over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cornstarch until blended; gradually whisk in cream. Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in crab, cheese and seasonings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, to allow flavors to blend, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sherry; heat 1-2 minutes longer. Sprinkle servings with additional nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 383 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 1089mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Aunt Nancy's Cream of Crab Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.