Chicken Burrito Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saute rice until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Stir in beans, canned tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Place chicken on top (do not stir into rice). Simmer, covered, until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Top with tomato and green onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 403 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Nov 9, 2019
I made this recipe tonight and I thought it was very good. I did think that it needed more spices. I added more black beans because I am trying to get more fiber in my dinners. I will make this recipe again because I like one skillet meals.
Oct 22, 2019
Very much liked the idea, speed of preparation and basic taste but found chicken was a bit overdone at the suggested cooking time, and I couldn't put it on the table as is is spiced as everyone in our house hold would have bitterly complained it was "bland" so I cooked the rice in a separate pan until almost done then added it to rest of recipe which I had spiced up more than just a bit. Loved the final product as did everyone and thanks for the nice foundation for a good chicken dish.
Jun 18, 2019
Delicious! I added diced sauteed green and red peppers, used Rotel tomatoes with diced green chilis, and sprinkled fresh cilantro and lime juice after cooking. I will cut back a little on the rice, as I thought it was too much.
May 31, 2019
To take it up a notch - I added chili powder and minced garlic while cooking chicken. Instead of plain diced tomatoes, I used Rotel. Turned out pretty good.
Mar 17, 2019
It was Lacking "Something" I made the recipe using the exact quantities of ingredients stated. My only substitute was to use leftover rotisserie chicken. When serving, the suggested toppings(sour cream, tomatoes, green onion....) The flavor was just bland. Maybe more spices would help. My family ate it, but I will not make it again.
Dec 19, 2018
A delicious meal! Super easy to put together and everyone was satisfied and happy. I think we'll be eating this again.
Nov 5, 2018
Easy and very good. Added avocado and sour cream at the end.
Oct 22, 2018
This was just the right level of spice for our family. I did use fresh onion, sauteing it with the rice, as per some of the other comments. I also did not have fresh chicken, so I added canned chicken when the rice was almost cooked. I loved the fresh veggies on top. It's a keeper for us.
Jun 21, 2018
It was so simple and easy to make. I made it exactly per recipe, delicious. I will be trying it with ground beef and steak.
May 25, 2018
Great recipe! Even picky eaters loved it.