Savory Tomato-Braised Tilapia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 tilapia fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Sprinkle fillets with seasoned salt; drizzle with lemon juice. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes, peppers, broth, tomato paste, garlic powder and oregano; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer.
- Place fillets over tomato mixture; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. If desired, serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without pasta): 254 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Jan 27, 2016
This was absolutely amazing!! I used a shortcut and made it with medium heat salsa as opposed to the individual veggie ingredients (onion, diced tomato w/green chilies and red pepper) and it turned out wonderful! SO moist and tender, incredible flavor. Easily one of THE BEST fish dishes I've ever had, especially for tilapia! Thank you so much for the recipe!
Feb 4, 2015
Thank you for sharing this recipe! We really enjoyed it and I loved how fast, easy, and flavorful it was. We had it over sauteed veggies and ate it up.
Mar 6, 2014
Absolutely loved this! Easy recipe and loaded with flavor! I served with a side of couscous. I actually replaced the roasted red peppers with diced sweet yellow pepper...added when I was cooking the onion.
Oct 12, 2013
Good flavor. I think the seasoned salt was the key here.
Sep 24, 2013
This was fast and easy to make and had great flavor! We already had all the ingredients on hand. This recipe is a keeper.
Sep 7, 2013
I made a version of this with mahi mahi and home grown tomatoes. Served it with egg noodles
Aug 16, 2013
This was delicious! We had it with angel hair pasta and the whole dish came together in no time at all, even though I had to roast the red pepper myself because I didn't have any jarred ones on hand. We will definitely be making this again!
Aug 15, 2013
very flavorful and easy to make
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.