Slow Cooker Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 lbs.)
- Place carrots and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix garlic and oil. In another bowl, mix dry seasonings.
- Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub garlic mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Place chicken in slow cooker over carrots and onions, breast side up; sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads at least 170°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Discard vegetables. Let chicken stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Freeze option: Cool chicken pieces and any juices. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken: 408 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 44g protein.
Mar 12, 2018
This recipe was delicious. I made it for Sunday dinner and everyone was raving about how moist and delicious the chicken was. So easy too. Put it in the crock pot earlier and it was ready after church.
Jan 23, 2018
Excellent taste to this easy recipe I make in my crockpot. Love the left overs too... chicken is moist and flavorful.
Sep 5, 2017
I love this method of cookng chiken. It is especially great to do in the summer, as it doesn't heat up the kitchen. My husband loves it just as much as chicken cooked in the oven. So good and tasty (and easy)! I will be making this again, no doubt.
Jul 10, 2016
Delicious! A great summer recipe with results that everyone was eager to eat. Served with roasted vegetables. Wouldn'tWouldn't change a thing and definitely would make it again.
Mar 11, 2016
I made this yesterday and loved it. So easy and you don't have to heat up an oven. It was so moist. Thank you.
Feb 19, 2016
I love roast chicken and this was really good. I do make balls of aluminum foil to rest my chicken on and add veggies around the chicken. Other than that, this is great.
Feb 18, 2016
Oh my! This was so moist and flavorful. I will definitely be making it again.
Dec 21, 2015
This was delicious and very moist. Will make again!
Dec 6, 2015
Maybe my chicken wasn't totally thawed but I had too cook it an hour or more longer than the recipe says. Otherwise, it was great.
Jun 4, 2015
This recipe was definitely easy, and was quite tasty. The ease of it made it something I might try again, but I still prefer a traditional roast chicken with the crispy skin and drippings for gravy, which you just can't get from the slow cooker. The meat was definitely juicy though.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.