Slow-Cooked Chicken and Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups day-old bread cubes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 5 to 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes; remove from the heat. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Combine eggs and soup; stir into broth mixture until smooth. Pour over bread and toss well.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer half of the stuffing and chicken; repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a thermometer inserted into the stuffing reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2016
I hAve been making this since it was first puBLISHED. I really like using homemade cream of mushroom soup in it. I just save up bread , freeze it, and when I have enough I make this. Bread varies from time to time.
Aug 10, 2016
Excellent.this tastes just like the dish my school cafeteria served.
Jan 2, 2015
I made this for a church potluck and it turned out great. I got quite a few compliments on it. It was so handy. I will definitely make it again!
Oct 26, 2014
Will definitely make this again.
Jun 24, 2012
I used canned chicken and it was an ok substitute. Very easy to prepare.
Jun 16, 2012
WE LOVE, LOVE , LOVE THIS!!! It's tastes like Grandma's and smells wonderful while cooking! I have been making this recipe for many years, I first saw it in TOH magazine about 8 years ago??
Nov 24, 2010
I've been making this stuffing for years. I usually bake it in the oven for holidays. Comes out great every time!
Nov 19, 2010
Made the whole house smell like Thanksgiving! The prep time was more like an hour for me. (rather than the 25 min it says)
Aug 24, 2010
I have been making this recipe for years. It has become a family favorite...kids request it for their birthdays. Awesome!!
Sep 27, 2009
Very good crock-pot recipe, which means it's very convenient. Nice one, too, to take to potlucks as a change from all the tomato-based pasta stuff people bring. Good down-home comfort food.