Asian Chicken Thighs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice. Freeze option: Cool chicken. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh (calculated without rice): 292 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2018
This was so good!
Nov 28, 2018
The best sauce ever!! I enjoy trying lots of recipes and trying to find good recipes for all cuts of chicken. I will use this recipe from now on for thighs. I am also thinking about trying it for wings.
Jun 29, 2018
We had these delicious chicken thighs tonight and cleaned our plates. I followed the recipe exactly but did use Splenda brown sugar. That was the only change. These are delicious and so easy to prepare. We will definitely be having this again. Volunteer Field Editor
Jun 10, 2018
I tripled the sauce, using orange juice rather than water and adding 1 more tbls. of white vinegar, for 2.5 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts...but totally forgot to add the brown sugar! It was still delicious. I will make again just to remember to add the brown sugar.
Jun 10, 2018
I thought the sauce was delicious. I used bone-in chicken breasts because I don’t really like thighs, and I think this was a mistake. I did not really care for the texture of the breast meat cooked this way. I would strongly recommend sticking with thighs.
May 6, 2018
Very good recipe. I used chicken breasts as that was all I had. I also did not have the five-spice powder. Other than that I followed the recipe as written. Very tasty. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Apr 16, 2018
I followed the recipe, but doubled the meat and tripled the sauce. I used chicken breasts plus thighs and it turned out beautifully red and so delicious. You could skip browning the meat because I don't think this could be less attractive or delicious.
Feb 25, 2018
Delicious, although I didn't have/make 5-spice seasoning, but it was still excellent. Also, I used 1/3 cup orange juice instead of water for extra flavor. It's a keeper!
Feb 19, 2018
What a hit! I doubled the sauce, and I was glad I did, as it was delicious. Will be making again.
Feb 12, 2018
very good and easy!