Apple Butter Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Liquid Smoke, optional
- Place chicken in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes or until meat juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Sep 17, 2015
The sauce was delicious! I used homemade apple butter and a salsa verde. Took about 20 minutes total for the chicken to be completely done. I also made mashed potatoes with this and put some of the sauce that came off the chicken on top...so good! This is a keeper.Update: I made this again this evening and instead of apple butter I used homemade peach butter. Still tasted delicious! I found that my chicken needed to cook a bit longer but that might have been because of thicker cuts. I also only did 1/2 the amount of salt it suggests. I also put in a bit more liquid smoke than called for because we like that smokey flavor. I felt like the chicken itself could have used more flavor though, so I might try to marinade it a little beforehand with something. Either way, still a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.