Apple-Butter Barbecued Roasted Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Grill: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne; sprinkle over chicken.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour half of the apple juice into another container and save for another use. With a can opener, poke additional holes in the top of the can. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2-2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Combine apple butter and barbecue sauce; baste chicken occasionally during the last 30 minutes. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can before carving.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 441 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 43g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 29, 2018
If you wait till internal temp reaches 180 degrees your chances of dry meat goes up greatly. Cook to 160 internal cover and it will rise to about 165 degrees, which is perfect. We did love everything about the taste. We regularly have apple butter Bar-B-Que sauce on hand for our chicken and pork recipes.
Oct 21, 2016
Stretch the breast and back skin, then apply the butter rub under the skin.Rub the whole body with olive oil and add your seasoning to the rub.
Oct 16, 2014
Fabulous Recipe...well worth the time and effort of making your own Apple Butter which I found the recipe for from Taste of Home!
Mar 15, 2014
Would you be able to do this similar thing in a crockpot?
Oct 13, 2013
Great tasting grilled chicken. I used my beer can chicken grill pan instead of using apple juice can.
Sep 14, 2013
I did this with chicken breasts...fabulous!
Sep 13, 2013
To burgers76: Just use a pan big enough to catch the drippings from the chicken, and stand it up on the lower rack of your oven. Bake at 350 - 375 and it will come out about the same as indirect grilling. You could add a little liquid smoke to the apple juice or sauce, if that is the flavor you think you'd miss by not using a grill. I just got the recipe, so I will be trying it soon.
Sep 13, 2013
Would love to try this recipe, but don't have a grill. I just have a countertop electric grill so its impossible. Too bad some of these great -sounding recipes aren't also shown for us older folks who don't use outdoor grills anymore
Sep 12, 2013
Love taste of home!!!!!!!!
Feb 21, 2011
Very good. Had a warm day in Il. so tried this as written and was very good.