Apple ‘n’ Onion Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium apples, sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- In a large skillet, saute apples and onions in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cheeses, bread crumbs and thyme; sprinkle over chicken. Drizzle with apple juice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 285 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Dec 16, 2012
The topping turned out crispy....yum! Next time I think I'll cut back on the onion and bump up the apple.
May 17, 2011
The apples and onions sauteeing together in a pan created a delicious smell, and tasted even better! The crisp cheese/breading topping was very tasty as well.
Jan 23, 2010
this is the only baked chicken i will make!!! the chicken is super juicy and moist...even if you dont add the apple. The flavors blend wonderfully...Use real good swiss cheese, i like to add extra. its super easy...you wont be disappointed
Dec 12, 2009
I made this last night and the only thing i liked about it was the chicken. I don't see how the apples play a role in this dish. The chicken was juicy and the breadcrumb mix was awesome, but next time I'll leave out the apples.
Nov 15, 2009
Savory blend of flavors. Very tasty.
Sep 28, 2009
This was awful! My husband is usually easy to please, but the apple/onion combination was terrible. The chicken had little flavor and the topping made it seem very dry. It just begged for some sort of sauce.
Oct 9, 2008
This even looks pretty.Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.