Apples ‘n’ Onion Topped Chops
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (5 ounces each)
- 3 cups sweet onion slices
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- In a large nonstick skillet heat two teaspoons canola oil over medium-high heat; cook chops until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove meat; set aside and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onion in remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Add apple slices; cook and stir 3 minutes longer.
- Combine the water, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper and rosemary. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Return meat to pan. Reduce heat; cover and cook until apples are crisp-tender, and a thermometer inserted into chops reads 160°, 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 326 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 11, 2019
You're trying to lose weight and are cooking with sugar? Good luck!
Sep 25, 2019
While my apples were on the floppy side this ended up amazing!! I used already seasoned pork chops and it was wonderful.
Jun 27, 2013
Flavorful and something out of the ordinary. It was excellent
Mar 4, 2012
I actually grilled the chops and I cooked the onions and apples until they were pretty well caramelized--about an hour. What a hit! It was the seasoning in the onions and apples that made such a difference.
Nov 9, 2011
Great flavor combination. Pork chops come out so moist - and I can never cook a moist pork chop!
Dec 28, 2010
Just cooked this for dinner tonight for the first time. Knowing the kids aren't big fans of vinegar, I was a little hesitant to add it, but since it was such a small amount, I went ahead and followed the recipe as written. It's fantastic!!!
Dec 6, 2009
My family loved this recipe, will definitely have again!!!
Sep 23, 2009
very good pork came out nice and tender