Apples ‘n’ Onion Topped Chops
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (5 ounces each)
- 3 cups sweet onion slices
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chops for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove meat; set aside and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onion in oil for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Add apple slices; cook and stir 3 minutes longer.
- Combine the water, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper and rosemary. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Return meat to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Jun 27, 2013
Flavorful and something out of the ordinary. It was excellent
Mar 4, 2012
I actually grilled the chops and I cooked the onions and apples until they were pretty well caramelized--about an hour. What a hit! It was the seasoning in the onions and apples that made such a difference.
Nov 9, 2011
Great flavor combination. Pork chops come out so moist - and I can never cook a moist pork chop!
Dec 28, 2010
Just cooked this for dinner tonight for the first time. Knowing the kids aren't big fans of vinegar, I was a little hesitant to add it, but since it was such a small amount, I went ahead and followed the recipe as written. It's fantastic!!!
Dec 6, 2009
My family loved this recipe, will definitely have again!!!
Sep 23, 2009
very good pork came out nice and tender
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.