Apple Stuffed Chicken
A friend served this chicken when we were over for dinner, and we enjoyed it so much I asked for the recipe. There are many chicken farms in this area, so I'm always on the lookout for new chicken recipes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken-flavored stuffing mix
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle inside of chicken with salt and pepper; rub outside with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix stuffing with the apple, celery, nuts, raisins and lemon zest. Lightly stuff chicken. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients. Bring to a simmer; heat, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Brush over chicken. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear, brushing occasionally with glaze. Cover with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove stuffing, then carve chicken.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 547 calories, 23 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 806 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Nov 8, 2010
This was the best chicken I have ever made. It was tasty, moist and picture perfect. Possibly the only thing I would do differently is to use home-made stuffing, but using the boxed premade did not detract from the recipe at all.