Barbecue Pork Tacos with Apple Slaw
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage (about 12 ounces)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 16 taco shells
- Place pork in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour root beer over top. Cook, covered, on low 2 to 2-1/2 hours or just until tender (a thermometer inserted in pork should read at least 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss slaw ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Remove tenderloins to a cutting board; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Discard cooking juices.
- Coarsely chop pork; return to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Serve in taco shells; top with some of the slaw. Serve remaining slaw on the side.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos with 1 cup slaw: 396 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 954mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Aug 15, 2017
The slaw part of this was good, but I didn't like the pork barbecue part so much.
May 24, 2017
This dish pleased my household immensely. The meat was tender and juicy; the slaw was tangy and crunchy. It was a nice combination.
May 13, 2017
I was not a fan of the root beer flavor on the pork, and my kids who are normally big BBQ fans wouldn't eat it. I don't know if it was the brand that I used, but even the BBQ sauce could not cover up the flavor. I still gave it 4 stars, though, because I will definitely be making this recipe again sans root beer. The slaw was amazing (I'll probably make it as a side dish even without the pork), and I think the tacos would have been great if it weren't for the root beer flavor.
Feb 11, 2017
Sep 4, 2016
The slaw was delicious and a great fit for the pork. I thought the root beer flavor on the pork was a little strong for my taste before the barbecue sauce was added, but it was really tasty once they were combined.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.