Barbecue Pork Tacos with Apple Slaw
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (16 tacos)
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage (about 12 ounces)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 16 taco shells
- Place pork in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour root beer over top. Cook, covered, on low just until tender (a thermometer inserted in pork should read at least 145°), 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss slaw ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Remove tenderloins to a cutting board; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Discard cooking juices.
- Coarsely chop pork; return to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Serve in taco shells; top with some of the slaw. Serve remaining slaw on the side.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos with 1 cup slaw: 396 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 954mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Aug 15, 2017
The slaw part of this was good, but I didn't like the pork barbecue part so much.
May 24, 2017
This dish pleased my household immensely. The meat was tender and juicy; the slaw was tangy and crunchy. It was a nice combination.
May 13, 2017
I was not a fan of the root beer flavor on the pork, and my kids who are normally big BBQ fans wouldn't eat it. I don't know if it was the brand that I used, but even the BBQ sauce could not cover up the flavor. I still gave it 4 stars, though, because I will definitely be making this recipe again sans root beer. The slaw was amazing (I'll probably make it as a side dish even without the pork), and I think the tacos would have been great if it weren't for the root beer flavor.
Feb 11, 2017
Sep 4, 2016
The slaw was delicious and a great fit for the pork. I thought the root beer flavor on the pork was a little strong for my taste before the barbecue sauce was added, but it was really tasty once they were combined.