Tropical BBQ Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 chicken leg quarters (8 ounces each), skin removed
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- With a sharp knife, cut leg quarters at the joints if desired; place in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and pepper; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer 1/2 cup to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with chicken. If desired, top with fresh parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 leg quarter: 301 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 2, 2014
Absolutely awful. The vinegar especially killed the flavor. We would never recommend this.
Mar 30, 2013
For all you people having trouble taking the skin off chicken pieces - just use a paper towel - magic!
Jan 20, 2012
Very good recipe. I found after 2 hours in the slow cooker the sauce disappeared. Next time I make this recipe I will double the sauce. Thanks for sharing!!!
Oct 19, 2011
We loved this one! The recipe makes plenty of sauce. Dried parsley worked just fine. This was so tender that the meat was just falling off the bones after 5 hours of cooking on low. The only downside was that I'm new to having to skin things it took me 35 minutes to skin and trim the chicken. Next time I'll just buy skinless. This would be easy to use to make pulled sandwiches.
Jun 28, 2011
I made this with prok ribs and since I did not have orange juice I used pineapple juice and I use 2 cloves of minced garlic instead of garlic salt...the results were YUMMY. This recipe could be used with chicken, pork or beef short ribs. It is wonderful.
Jul 8, 2009
tropical bbq chicken was very good! Easy to prepare. I purchased boneless/skinless chicken for this recipe which made it even easier to prepare! 4.5 stars from me! Barb S/Wisconsin Rapids WI
Mar 18, 2009
We liked it overall-- 3 out of 5 stars. Skinning the chicken was a hassle.
Mar 11, 2009