Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup fresh blackberries, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a small bowl, mash 2 tablespoons berries. Add 1/4 cup broth, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon paprika and cumin.
- Place chicken in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; pour broth mixture over the top. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, pepper and remaining paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally with pan juices. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Skim fat from pan drippings. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with remaining blackberries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 192 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 13, 2013
This was really good! Not something I would eat all the time, but as an occasional twist to chicken--it's great!
Aug 21, 2012
Amazing! I made biscuits with this, and the sauce was one of the best dipping sauces of all time! I did use dried thyme, but then only about 1/4 of what was called for. I also used the spice mix to spice the chicken first, then poured over the sauce. IMO meat always needs to be spiced first. Absolutely going in the recipe book! Very festive.
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like I'm the only one who didn't give it 5 stars. It was good but not exceptional in my opinion. I'd make it again but it's not going to be one of my go-to recipes.
Aug 17, 2012
Jul 25, 2011
I made this last night but substituted half of the blackberries with blueberries and it was wonderful. Definitely recommending this one to my friends.
Jun 24, 2011
Amazing! My entire family LOVES this recipe and looks forward to a hearty crop of blackberries so we can make this chicken all year long. The combination of flavors is delightful!
Aug 3, 2010
Awesome. Easy and wonderful! Don't hesitate to make this simple and flavorful dish
Jan 20, 2010
I love this recipe. I used chicken strips instead of breasts and doubled the recipe and use the sauce to pour over rice instead of the chicken. Since I double it, I don't have to baste.
Jan 17, 2010
I love this recipe and frequently use it to "wow" my guests! When blackberries are not in season here, I buy frozen berries and they taste just as good.
Aug 8, 2009
This is a tasty recipe. Dont make the sauce until the chicken is done and drizzle it over the chicken. Enjoy