Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
For zesty appetizers that win big every time, we glaze chicken wings with barbecue sauce, a little heat and a good team of spices. Whether you’re tailgating on the frozen tundra or watching the game from the comfort of your couch, these wings will keep you warm from the inside. —Audi Perry, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 45 min.
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Place wings in a large bowl; add vinegar and water. Refrigerate, covered, 45 minutes. Drain and rinse, discarding vinegar mixture. Combine flour and seasonings; add chicken, tossing to coat.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a deep skillet, heat 1 in. oil to 375°. Fry wings, a few at a time, 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir barbecue sauces, honey and jalapeno. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to allow flavors to blend, 10-15 minutes.
- Dip wings in sauce; place on greased foil-lined baking pans. Bake until glazed, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces : 317 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings in Taste of Home September/October 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.