Sweet ‘n’ Tangy Chicken Wings
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3 pounds chicken wingettes (about 30)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, finely chopped red onion and sesame seeds, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with a dash of salt and pepper. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat until golden brown, 6-8 minutes on each side. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, liquid smoke, if desired, and remaining salt; pour over wings. Toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 2-3 hours. If desired, top with jalapenos, onion and sesame seeds to serve. Freeze option: Freeze cooled fully cooked wings in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Reheat wings in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 325° oven until heated through, covering if necessary to prevent browning. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts11 piece: 116 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2018
worst recipe ever, soupy sauce that was ketchup flavored....uck
May 11, 2017
I used chicken breasts instead of wings as well as substituted 1/2 cup of chili sauce for 1/2 cup of the ketchup. I'm glad that I did because the sauce would have tasted to ketchupy. The sauce turned out a little soupy so I ended up shredding up the chicken and we ate it as barbecue sandwiches.
Jun 30, 2016
I used chicken breasts instead of wings. I tasted the sauce and ended up adding additional seasoning to hide the ketchup flavor a little. I would make again.
Jan 20, 2014
The sauce was very tasty, but I was disappointed that it didn't thicken up well at all. I used drumsticks since they were cheaper and there's more meat on them. I should have removed the skin from these because they got a little slimy. Taste was awesome though!
Oct 13, 2013
They were very good. I used the suggested method of broiling for 10 minutes on each side and removing extra grease with paper towels. The sauce was not soupy or greasy.
Nov 5, 2012
Literally tasted like ketchup wings. Yuck!
Nov 3, 2012
Saw many posts that the sauce was to Ketchupy so I substituted 1/2 cup chilli sauce for 1/2 cup of the ketchup. I also added an extra Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I also broild my wings about 15 minutes making them somewhat crispy. Itasted the sauce as I was making it tasted very Yummy to me.
Aug 28, 2012
This was a hit! I made them for a neighborhood gathering and they were gone in a flash. The meat was tender and the sauce was perfect!
Feb 9, 2012
Tasted like ketchup wings...a disappointment for us. Too bad, the picture makes them look so good!
Feb 5, 2012
These were awful. The meat was falling off the bones, but it was overcooked and dry. Even though the sauce had good flavor, I expected a sticky, gooey consistency, but that was not the case.I was highly disappointed.