Tangy Barbecue Wings
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 3 hours
Makes2 dozen wings
- 5 pounds chicken wings
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Arrange remaining wing pieces in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 30 minutes; drain. Turn wings; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain wings. Place one-third of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with one-third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours. Stir before serving.
Editor's NoteUncooked chicken wing sections (wingettes) may be substituted for whole chicken wings.
Nutrition Facts1 wing (2 sections): 178 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 2, 2018
I dont understand having to bake them first
Jan 8, 2018
Why use a slow cooker, when you're already baking them in the oven?!?!
Sep 16, 2017
THIS IS THE BEST RECIPE EVER!!!!!
Dec 28, 2016
Since my sons were young I've made wings a number of times for them (who are now both mature adults). This Christmas I made this recipe, and both of them said these were the best tasting ones I've ever made. They were so easy! Two days in advance I baked them in the oven until cooked, as per the recipe, and made the sauce according to the recipe. On Christmas Day I simply put them in the crock pot as instructed. Fabulous recipe, and now a family fav to be sure!
May 21, 2016
I agree with KarenKeefe. It is simple if you just put the whole things into the crockpot and cook it for 8 hours. I do that all the time. It does save your time.
Apr 30, 2016
The recipe is a lot of work for what could be so simple. Cut the wings apart, (pitch out the tips), brown the wing pieces in a deep skillet. Pour a mixture of 1 can of coke and 1/4 cup of ketchup and simmer until the mixture cooks down to a sweet barbeque sauce. (About 25 minutes) It's great with no work. Extremely easy for "tail-gating".
Apr 16, 2016
I skipped the oven and put these right into the crockpot.. Cooked on low for 8 hours. They came out just right! Great find!
Feb 23, 2015
I do this with drumsticks instead of wings because they are so much meatier. I put them in my slow cooker on low and when I come they're done. Also you can vary the type of sauce just the way you want, Sometimes I do Teriyaki, BBQ, Thai peanut sauce, Philippine style adobo, etc . I have time in the morning to prep vegetables to go along with the chicken and that makes dinner a quick breeze.
Feb 1, 2015
These are my go to wings from now on!!!! Delish
Sep 23, 2013
I just made these for a tailgaiting party and they were delicious!! The flavor was perfect!! A keeper for sure!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.