Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Use as a basting sauce when grilling chicken, pork or beef.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 41 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
May 17, 2019
I made this with my Panela instead of brown sugar. It is a far tastier form or raw, artisanal cane sugar than brown sugar. I used Colman's super spicy english mustard too. Fantastic! Justpanela.com
Aug 19, 2017
This is a delicious bbq sauce, and also a great Sloppy Joe sauce. (For Sloppy Joes, brown ground beef or turkey, add a generous amount of sauce, and cook a few minutes more.)
Mar 2, 2017
Very good sauce! I used it on shredded chicken breast for sandwiches!! Love the lemon in it! Gives it a refreshing taste!
Mar 6, 2016
Excellent taste and very easy to make
Mar 13, 2015
I will never buy barbecue sauce again. We love this recipe and it's so easy to make!
Mar 6, 2014
This has been a favourite in our kitchen for years, keeps well so great to have on hand.
Jul 13, 2013
Great recipe and taste great one you'll use over and over again.
Jan 23, 2013
For extra zip in the sauce I added Franks Red Hot and used Apple Cider Vinegar instead of Cider Vinegar and if you like it a little smokey, try adding liquid smoke...
Jan 23, 2013
I tried this recipe for the first time on back ribs and it is fantastic! Best BBQ sauce recipe I've ever tried
Jun 24, 2011
This was just ok. I'm trying to find a recipe as good as the bottled stuff, but this wasn't it. It wasn't bad, just not great.