Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 68 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 2, 2019
Really Tom of May 20, 2018.-- Just say thanks for the recipe and move on.
May 20, 2018
Canola and Soybean oil are the two unhealthiest oils on the planet. Use peanut, sunflower or ANYTHING but those two.
Jun 17, 2017
A little too much chili powder for my taste and we also prefer a bit sweeter so I added brown sugar and it was really tasty, just the right amount of heat.
May 31, 2014
If you like a little heat in your barbecue sauce, you'll enjoy this recipe. I used only 1 teaspoon of chili powder when I made it and skipped the straining step. This would be good on beef, chicken, or pork.
May 27, 2014
This sounds great because there is no extra sugar added and I use Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup.
May 27, 2013
I make this sauce to put on my Guinness Baby back Ribs. It is Great!!!