Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours + chilling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), coarsely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Sriracha chili sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in tomatoes; cook, uncovered, over medium heat 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are softened.
- Press tomato mixture through a fine-mesh strainer; discard solids. Return mixture to pot; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Place cinnamon, celery seed, mustard seed and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Add to tomatoes. Stir in sugar and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally. Discard spice bag.
- Transfer to a covered container; cool slightly. Refrigerate until cold. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 46 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 5, 2015
I never thought I could be so excited over ketchup! I have tomatoes over flowing from the garden, so I made this. The only thing I'm disappointed in, is that I didn't make a double batch. It's just that good!