Barbecue Sauce with Mustard
Say no to ho-hum barbecue. Add some zing to chicken or pork with our sauce. —Charlie and Ruthie Knote, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Combine first seven ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir in enough vinegar to make paste. Combine molasses, ketchup, mustard, oil and remaining vinegar; add to herb paste. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Pour into a glass jar; cover tightly. Store refrigerated for up to 3 months. Baste over smoked chicken, turkey, ham or hot dogs.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 60 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Barbecue Sauce with Mustard in Taste of Home June/July 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.