Florida BBQ Sauce
Growing up in Texas, I got used to a certain type of BBQ. After I moved to Florida, I loved how lots of different citruses were being added to BBQ sauces. I played around for a long time before I hit on what I think is the most balanced yet citrus-dominant Florida BBQ sauce yet. —Christine Hair, Odessa, Florida
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 30-35 minutes. Refrigerate up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 54 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
May 9, 2020
Could this possibly be processed with a canning method, such as water bath, to make a few jars shelf-stable? Looks delicious, I live in FL, but too large of a recipe for me to use in 1 week. Thanks!