It's always fun to serve a meat or poultry dish with a twist. This tangy-sweet chutney is a wonderfully different garnish. With fine chunks of rhubarb and raisins, it has a nice consistency. It's among our favorite condiments. —Jan Paterson, Anchorage, Alaska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 cups
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb, onion and raisins. Cook and stir over medium heat until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.