Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 cups
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb, onion and raisins. Cook and stir over medium heat until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 75 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
May 24, 2020
Very easy to put together with ingredients I keep in my house next time I am going to try it with the addition of tart apple and candied ginger
May 17, 2011
I really like this recipe and would like to perserve it to eat later in the winter, does anyone have any ideas on how to change the recipe to do this?