Tangy Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, vinegar and salt; heat through. Serve on buns. Freeze option: Place cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 387 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 864mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2018
Sorry, I thought this recipe was very bland. I made it exactly as written. I have other recipes for BBQ beef sandwiches that are much better.
Sep 8, 2017
I was looking for a sloppy joe recipe that does not call for tomato soup. This is it! This will be my sloppy joe recipe from now on. Thanks for the recipe.
Jan 30, 2016
I had 3 lbs of ground beef and was in a hurry. I found this simple recipe and it did not disappoint! I wasn't sure if I was going to like it so I only used 1/2 of the beef. With the 1st bite my mom said it was the best and has already requested that I make the remaining meat like this! I ended up only using 1 tbs each of the mustard & worchestire sauce, just a little more salt and brown sugar. This hungry family thanks you for the recipe and reviews. I'll be back for more! :)
Aug 14, 2015
My family and I loved the flavors in this sandwich! The only thing I did differently is I didn't use Worcestershire sauce because I was out. I was really disappointed because I love the flavor that adds to food. But without it it was still delicious! I will be making again.
May 19, 2015
This was a quick, easy & delicious recipe. I did not use barbecue sauce & just added another tablespoon of ketchup instead. I disagree with another reviewer who said this recipe had no flavor. We thought it was very tasty.
Feb 10, 2015
Very good and super easy to make. I'll be making this one again. (I served it on pretzel buns/rolls, which was also good!)
Sep 10, 2014
Quick and easy recipe to make. Not a lot of flavor, but still very good.
Jun 29, 2014
Simple, easy & delicious!!
Mar 1, 2014
I tried this and both my husband and I enjoyed it. I made a big batch for a party and served it from a crockpot; it was a hit!
Jan 28, 2014
Because I trust nearly every receipe from Taste of Home. I doubled this receipe and made it for the first time for a party. Taste of Home came through for me again! Everyone loved the sandwiches. It was like a summer time meal in the middle of winter.