Buttery Hot Wings
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen (2 cups sauce)
- 20 whole chicken wings (4 pounds)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tip sections. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flours, salt, paprika and cayenne. Add wings, a few at a time, and shake to coat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry six to eight wings at a time for 3-4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, adding more oil as necessary. Drain on paper towels. Transfer wings to a large bowl and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until butter is melted. Pour over chicken wings and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteUncooked chicken wing sections (wingettes) may be substituted for whole chicken wings.
Jan 8, 2014
I liked this recipes, the wings and the sauce were very good.
Nov 8, 2013
I must say this was one of the best chicken wings I've ever eaten. Both my granddaughter loved them request as they ate that we have them for dinner tomorrow. Lol I'm a chef by trade and I put small twist on things not this one. as is the bomb, thanks for sharing.
Sep 11, 2013
Sep 10, 2013
Jan 15, 2013
Delicious,did not have wheat flour,used all white and it was stiil delicious.A keeper
Oct 29, 2012
My husband said to keep this recipe! I didn't have some of the ingredients (wheat flour, chili sauce, and balsamic vinegar), but the wings were still delicious.
Oct 8, 2012
I am not a big fan of all the skin on wings but love the crispiness, so I cut chicken breasts into cubes and used those.....awesome flavor. I think the next time I will put them on a salad.
Feb 7, 2012
I will admit, I was very skeptical about the amount of sugar in this recipe. But, I was plesantly surprised by the finished product. It was just the right amount of "heat" mixed with the all of the other flavors.
Dec 28, 2010
OMGoodness!! Whenever I make these wings, for all types of people, I get RAVE reviews, I am not kidding! Thanks Carol Hille for making me popular with my friends and family! The Best Tasting Wings Ever!!!
Jan 7, 2010
Overall we liked these wings, but will definately have to cut back on the butter next time. We thought they could have been a little hotter.