Sweet-and-Sour Chicken Wings
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 16 chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Transfer wings to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add sugar mixture. Cover and cook on low until chicken juices run clear, 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Transfer wings to a serving dish; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Editor's NoteUncooked chicken wing sections (wingettes) may be substituted for whole chicken wings.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 8, 2013
Another AWESOME recipe! Doubled it and served to a group of people aged 18 - 65 and they LOVED THEM!!!!! Precooked the wings in the oven; made the sauce on the stove (per the recipe), put it all together in my crock pot the next day and let it cook for several hours. The results were FANTASTIC!!!!! Meat falling off the bones; sauce thin (did not use cornstarch to thicken - just left it thin) but the meat tasted SO GOOD people didn't care that it wasn't coating the wings. Will add this to my list of "what to make for a party" foods!
Jun 25, 2010
I LOVE this recipie, but with a couple changes. I do use all the vinigar, but instead of regular sugar I use a cup of brown sugar. I also add about 1/2 - 1 Tabelspoon of ginger with this it comes out amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 22, 2010
I used less vinegar based on previous comments - just over 1/2 cup instead of a full cup. We loved it. We will definitely have these again.
Dec 6, 2009
I read the previous reviews and used 1/2 a cup of vinegar and added a whole can of chunk pineapple and juice. The recipe turned out great. My husband and one daughter thought it was a little sweet with less vinegar, but they still admitted it was yummy. I am making it again and will add another 1/4 cup of vinegar this time. This recipe is very easy and will definitely become a regular for our family.
Sep 4, 2009
I would add 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar and some chunk pineapple to the sauce mixture. This would cut some of the tartness from the vinegar.
Feb 14, 2009
This is a very sour dish that did not play well at our house. I may try again with maybe one third the vinegar. Very easy to prepare and wings cooked well in the slow cooker.
Jan 8, 2009
I make a recipe similar to this. It is a little more high calorie, but excellent. I take 5lbs of thawed wings..bread them with flour and fry them...i place them in a cake pan and pour over the vinegar mixture...then bake for one hour...awesome appetizer!