Best Ever Fried Chicken Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- BUFFALO WING SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- SPICY THAI SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 minced Thai chili pepper or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- SPICY BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- 1. Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Toss wings with kosher salt. Place on a wire rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry wings in batches until skin is crisp and meat is tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. For Buffalo wing sauce, bring hot sauce just to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; whisk in butter one piece at a time. Stir in molasses and cayenne pepper.
- 4. For Thai sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and chili pepper; cook and stir until fragrant, 2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and lime juice. Bring to a boil; cook until slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and fish sauce.
- 5. For barbecue sauce, heat prepared barbecue sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in chipotle peppers, honey and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 6. Toss wings with one of the sauces. If desired, sprinkle with green onion slices.
1 piece with buffalo sauce: 87 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. 1 piece with thai sauce: 82 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.1 piece with barbecue sauce: 85 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 2, 2018Spicy BBQ sauce is simply the best BBQ sauce we have ever had on wings. We love having this recipe when wings are on sale and never have any leftovers with this recipe.