Easy Beans & Potatoes with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Cover and refrigerate bacon until serving.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in reserved drippings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in bacon; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 116 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
May 24, 2019
I was born in the early nineteen fifties. As a Southern girl growing up greenbeans with bacon and potatoes were a regular part of our menu. Nothing new but I appreciate your take onit .
Jun 21, 2018
No!! After 5 hours the beans were turning brown and they & potatoes were not done. Glad I only did 1/2 the recipe. At the same time made 1/2 recipe Potato Green Bean Medley from here and that was very good. So go with that recipe!
Sep 30, 2017
Easy and delicious side dish!
Feb 25, 2017
I am not sure if the bag of fresh cleaned green beans that I bought at our local supermarket was bad because they werent even edible in this dish so it changed the flavor of this recipe. It would be unfair to give this 1 star if that was the problem so taking in the consideration that all other review's here are good I will give it 4 stars.
Feb 29, 2016
One of my favorite dishes. Ate it growing up, eating it growing old.
Jan 3, 2016
I make this on the stove. Only difference is I brown the onions in the tablespoon of bacon drippings. Yummy!
Feb 11, 2015
Very delicious! Preparation I found took longer than 15 minutes by the time I fried the bacon, peeled and chopped potatoes, snapped beans and sliced onions--more like 30 minutes! But the result was very good. I sent it to a potluck with my husband, reserving some for me. I know they will like it!
Feb 3, 2015
A NUMBER ONE !!!! MY GRANDMOTHER'S RECIPE FROM WAY BACK IN THE DAY !!!! MJH
Aug 10, 2014
Very good........I would fix this for company. Easy! I have two crocks, fixed this with the crock pot creamed corn, and oven fried chicken, all TOH recipes. Sorry, I don't have the exact names of the recipes, but the dinner was fantabulous!!!
Jun 30, 2014
I cooked on the stove top due to time constraints but it still turned out great!!