Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- In a large bowl or dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, browning sauce if desired, onion salt and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and onion. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in green beans.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes (do not lift cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 441 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1627mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Feb 21, 2019
This is a wonderful supper on cold winter days. Stick to your ribs food and tasty too!
Nov 3, 2018
This stew is great and the cheddar dumplings are wonderful.
Jul 15, 2017
Really has a rich, robust flavor. Love the Cheddar biscuits. I added potatoes to make the soup a little heartier.
Apr 18, 2017
Very good. Even my pickiest eater liked it.
Feb 23, 2017
Very tasty and easy to make. Like other reviewers, I added potatoes and celery instead of dumplings as my husband loves his potatoes. A definite make again on a winter night.
Nov 17, 2014
Delicious stew and the dumplings are excellent!
Mar 13, 2014
My family enjoyed this recipe, especially the dumplings! We try a lot of different recipes to change things up a bit and most are just okay. This one is a keeper and worth trying. My boys (16 & 18) are my best testers and they gave it a thumbs up! I used college inn beef broth instead of water and bouillon.
Feb 26, 2014
My husband made this last night for dinner. It was just delicious! The stew makes and nice thick gravy. He used beef bullion for 3 cups of the water. The dumpling were to die for. We will make this again & again. Yummy!! I love the Taste of Home Recipes and am always trying new ones.
Apr 2, 2013
Totally love these, the dumplings are to die for!
Jan 23, 2013
This stew has become a family favorite for years. The dumplings are simply the best and the flavor of the soup is so rich and beefy it satisfies my carnivores.