Turkey Dumpling Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Coarsely ground pepper and chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 teaspoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute turkey over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add vegetables, herbs, 1-3/4 cups water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in salt, pepper and bacon.
- In a small bowl, mix biscuit mix and milk to form a soft dough; drop in six mounds on top of simmering stew. Cover; simmer 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle with pepper and parsley before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Nov 25, 2012
This recipe is very tasty. I added frozen peas and corn just before finishing cooking carrots.
Apr 12, 2012
very good, used drums and wings to make broth, a bit more bacon grease than suggested. sprigs of fresh rosemary and tyme and gluten free flour and mix.
Oct 28, 2011
Excellent flavor and easy. I use the jars of real bacon and then use non-stick spray to saute the turkey.
Aug 21, 2009
It is healthy if you use the reduce sodium bacon. I think this is a keeper! Negetive comments should be kept to oneself. Nice people don't do that.
Mar 8, 2009
This is not a healthy recipe when it contains bacon
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.