Turkey Dumpling Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Optional: Coarsely ground pepper and chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 teaspoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute turkey over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add vegetables, herbs, 1-3/4 cups water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in salt, pepper and bacon.
- In a small bowl, mix biscuit mix and milk to form a soft dough; drop in 6 mounds on top of simmering stew. Cover; simmer 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle with pepper and parsley before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Nov 10, 2019
Grammy5, the recipe is not labeled "Healthy Turkey Dumpling Stew", so why would you render a determination that the recipe is not healthy? No one has asked you for that! The reviews are informative to all of us about the quality, taste and substance of the recipe.
Nov 25, 2012
This recipe is very tasty. I added frozen peas and corn just before finishing cooking carrots.
Apr 12, 2012
very good, used drums and wings to make broth, a bit more bacon grease than suggested. sprigs of fresh rosemary and tyme and gluten free flour and mix.
Oct 28, 2011
Excellent flavor and easy. I use the jars of real bacon and then use non-stick spray to saute the turkey.
Aug 21, 2009
It is healthy if you use the reduce sodium bacon. I think this is a keeper! Negetive comments should be kept to oneself. Nice people don't do that.
Mar 8, 2009
This is not a healthy recipe when it contains bacon