Stuffing Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cooked stuffing
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans
- In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, carrots and Creole seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs and flour until smooth. Crumble stuffing over mixture; mix well. If necessary, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture holds its shape.
- Add the turkey and green beans to soup; return to a boil. Drop stuffing mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 390 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 1252mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 13, 2017
Tasty - I love stuffin'.
Mar 2, 2012
This recipe was delicious and easy to prepare just the way it is listed. My 13yr. old daughter actually made it the first two times we had it. We will definitely add this to our favorites!
Jan 25, 2012
This was such a great idea for thanksgiving leftovers! I wish I had thought of this YEARS ago. Even my husband, who is pickier than my two year old, liked it. The only changes I made were to omit the mushrooms (because my husband hates mushrooms and there was already cream of mushroom in the stuffing) and I used homemade turkey stock instead of chicken broth. Thanks!
Nov 29, 2011
My niece took one bite and said it tasted like Thanksgiving in a bowl. I wish I had more stuffing left! It was awesome!
Nov 26, 2011
This was awesome.Another Thanksgiving should be scheduled for next week,so this can find its way to my table again soon.
Nov 6, 2011
I had the perfect leftovers to make this soup, so I decided to try it. Mine was a roast chicken, so I subbed that for the turkey, skipped the mushrooms and doubled the broth since I like a soupier soup. This had a lot of flavor. I would probably season the dumplings - I used Stove top stuffing and they could have used some salt and pepper. All in all, this was excellent and different. Will definitely try again.