Momma’s Turkey Stew with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir in broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Add corn and peas. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix baking mix and milk just until moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on top of simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 287 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1410mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 26, 2017
This recipe was very tasty and I would certainly use it again. I only did two things differently. I had deeply browned wings from the turkey so placed them in the bottom of the crock pot first. I used Lawry's seasoned salt in place of the regular salt. I didn't make the dumplings as we were not going to use all of the soup and I didn't know how well they would hold up.
Nov 29, 2015
Made with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. Delicious. I did add more spices to knock it up a bit. Would make again, great use for extra chicken or turkey, and love the use of the crockpot.
Dec 12, 2014
Made this yesterday exactly as directed. Hubby loved it and said it's a keeper.
Nov 28, 2014
We really liked this- it was easy and very tasty!
Nov 24, 2014
With the addition of a few more herbs and increasing the poultry seasoning amount, this recipe is the one I use with both turkey and chicken for the basic stew. I like to make slick/flat dumplings though. Those fluffy dumplings tend to melt too readily.
Nov 24, 2014
Simple and easy preparation. Instead of Turkey I used chicken leg quarters since I haven't done a Turkey yet. But, it will be a good recipe for later when I have the Turkey leftovers. As well, I don't have Bisquick on hand so I made easy scratch dumplings with Flour, Salt, Parsley, Butter and Milk.
Nov 21, 2014
I make this dish all the time as it is so tasty. It is a staple in my house during the winter months. I don't make the biscuits though as I don't want the extra calories.
Apr 7, 2014
Followed directions, very disappointing, will not make again.
Jan 22, 2013
This was delicious, easy, and made the house smell wonderful while it cooked. Kids gave it 2 thumbs up!
Dec 17, 2012
I did not have turkey so I substituted chicken instead. My husband and I both loved it! It was hearty and full of flavor. I'm putting this on our list of favorites.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.