- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs or rolled oats
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, divided
- 3 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/4 cup onion, bread crumbs, 3 teaspoons bouillon and 1 teaspoon chili powder; crumble beef over mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 1-1/2-in. meatballs. Roll in flour.
- Heat oil in a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; brown meatballs. Drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Add tomatoes, garlic, cumin and the remaining onion, bouillon and chili powder to skillet; stir to combine. Add meatballs. Cover and cook over low heat about 20 minutes. Stir in beans.
- Combine dumpling ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls onto chili; cook on low, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook until a toothpick inserted in dumpling comes out clean, 10-12 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with minced chives.
1 each: 475 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1523mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein.