Traditional Chicken Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes20 servings (5 quarts)
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) chunk white chicken, drained, divided
- 1/3 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 cups Biscuit Baking Mix
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- In a stockpot, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add water. Stir in the vegetables, one can of chicken, bouillon and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit baking mix, parsley and remaining pepper. Stir in milk just until moistened. Fold in remaining chicken.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 266 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1091mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 29, 2011
very good, it seemed like alot so I only made 1/2 the recipe of the soup part and about 1/5 the recipe of the biscuit part. I thought their was plenty of biscuits and so I don't think I would want to make as many biscuits as the recipe called for, but what I made I thought was quite good.
Sep 19, 2011
This is the best tasting soup I have ever made. So easy to prepare and there are never left overs. I did add 2 extra bullion cubes for added flavors. YUMMIE and I get loads of request to have it again.
Aug 6, 2011
This was absolutely delicious. It has a lot of butter, though, so not exactly the healthiest. I may try to reduce the butter if I make it again. I substituted noodles for the dumplings because I didn't have enough baking mix. Turned out great!
Jan 5, 2011
I made this receipe on New Year's day and it was a huge hit! I halfed everything as I only needed 10 servings. It is easy to make and tastes wonderful!!!!! Will make again, perfect on a cold winter's day with a salad and bread sticks.
Mar 8, 2010
My husband LOVED this recipe. I cut the recipe in half because it looked like it would make too much, but now I wish I would have made the full recipe. I also used my own chicken that I chopped up rather than from a can.