The Best Chicken & Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour 10 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine or apple cider
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until blended. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- For dumplings, in a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (do not overmix). Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- Remove chicken from stockpot; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from soup. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Using two forks, coarsely shred meat into 1- to 1-1/2-in. pieces; return to soup. Cook, covered, on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Drop dumplings on top of simmering soup, a few at a time. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Gently stir in cream, parsley and thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 470 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 892mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 29, 2019
A little too sweet. I would omit the sugar next time. The carrots add enough sweetness
Sep 16, 2019
This recipe was a hit at a family dinner. I don’t usually make chicken
Jun 22, 2019
someone wrote it is not southern chicken - it never claimed to be: some wrote that the corporate food warmed up at their local franchise restaurant has a different type of dumplings -so what, nowhere did it say "just like [fill in the blank]; HOWEVER, I made this in a pressure cooker using a dry white wine and no sugar (carrots add natural sweetness) - the stew was very tasty and 16 dumplings made sensible servings for 8 adults.
Apr 2, 2019
I'm sure this is a tasty recipe. However I see numerous problems with if it, If you're expecting true southern chicken
Feb 20, 2019
My first time ever making this type of soup. Ummmmmm. The only reason I gave a 4 stars is that I thought the dumplings might have been a bit fluffier (but still very good as they were) but I will definitely make this again and follow the recipe as I did this time. I used wine. I had nothing to compare it to so the comments about Cracker Barrel confused me - this is not a competition - it's just a wonderful dish! Everyone loved the flavor.
Feb 14, 2019
This sounds pretty good but it' not Cracker Barrel's Chicken
Feb 13, 2019
These might be good, but they are nowhere near the dumplings at Crackerbarrel. Dumplings at Crackerbarrel are rolled and cut, not drop dumplings.
Feb 13, 2019
I never get Cracker Barrels dish, because to me they're thick noodles, not dumplings. These are the dumplings like my Mom's recipe. There are a few differences in this recipe, than moms, but I'm gonna give it a chance. It sounds delicious!
Dec 23, 2018
If you are short on time just buy some frozen dumplings. Mary B's is a popular brand in the Deep South around here and you get about 24 or so in a package.
Dec 17, 2018
Good . the dumplings came out fantastic .. but please please do not think they are talking about Apple cider vinegar here.. I should have known better and ruined the dish ! =0( next time no no no ACV Also they are a little vague as to when to add the cream .