The Best Chicken & Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour 10 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine or apple cider
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until blended. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- For dumplings, in a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (do not overmix). Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- Remove chicken from stockpot; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from soup. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Using two forks, coarsely shred meat into 1- to 1-1/2-in. pieces; return to soup. Cook, covered, on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Drop dumplings on top of simmering soup, a few at a time. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Gently stir in cream, parsley and thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 470 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 892mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 13, 2019
Love this receipe! I have been searching for a good Chicken and dumpling receipe always to be disappointed however, this one is amazing! I did use chicken breast instead of cutting up a fryer since I was on a time crunch and I didnt have fresh thyme and parsley so I used dried. I put the herbs in the whipping cream to soften them. It was soooo delious!!
Dec 10, 2019
Seems some folks call rolled dumplings noodles. Noodles are made with flour, water, egg yolks and salt. Rolled very thin and dried before boiling. Dumplings have ingredients like this recipe and are rolled but not as thin as noodles and sliced into strips. They come out like soft little pillows. Those are My favorite. The dumplings in this recipe are drop dumplings, the easiest to make. They are light and fluffy and dry in the middle. I like all the above.
Dec 10, 2019
I prefer 2-3 T of sherry (NOT "cooking sherry"--I like the REAL THING) to the liquid ingredients.
Dec 5, 2019
My Grandmother made this dish for our family and it was a favorite. A suggestion for those who didn't care for the dumpling recipe, Bisquick makes the best dumplings. Nice and fluffy on the inside.
Nov 18, 2019
This was absolutely delicious. I had frozen home made chicken broth which I used for this soup. Directions were clear and surprisingly easy to follow. Only thing I did not care for was the dumpling recipe. They were really bad. So make the soup even if it is labor intensive. Worth the time. But pass on the dumplings. Just find a lighter tastier recipe. So soups a 5 star but dumpling not so much.
Nov 16, 2019
This is a southern classic with dumplings like my grandma and mom made except we never used sugar or wine so I leave them out.
Nov 16, 2019
billpatmco, what you're describing is ONE method of "Chicken and Dumplings", but his recipe is also "Chicken and Dumplings". It depends where you grew up, what region you're from, the preference of the woman producing the end product! My paternal grandmother preferred your version, my maternal grandmother, and mother, preferred the "fluffy biscuit" version.
Nov 13, 2019
Sorry billpatmco but you are talking about chicken and noodles, not chicken and dumplings! Dumplings are dough balls!
Nov 11, 2019
Sorry but that isn't chicken and dumplings that is chicken and dough balls. Dumplings are rolled out thin cut in one inch strips and stretched thin and dropped in the hot chicken and broth. Should never taste doughy.
Nov 10, 2019
I used cut flour tortillas for dumplings and two cartons of organic broth.