Old-fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch ground cloves
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, parsley, baking powder, cloves and salt. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 300 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1322mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 8, 2012
Made the recipe as written except I doubled it. Will be much more stingy with the ground cloves, though. Their flavor can get overpowering in a hurry.
Feb 14, 2012
This recipe is EXCELLENT! I actually added 3 1/2 more cups of water though and it still turned out fantastic! It smelled great while cooking and while reheating the next day!
Jan 9, 2012
Really really good. I doubled it to make it for my family. Instead of this dumpling recipe, I used the reciped off of the baking mix box. It turned out great!!!
Nov 13, 2011
I like dumplings way to much so I doubled that part of the recipe! Family Favorite
Dec 15, 2010
I followed the advice of the other reviewer and just used a bag of frozen stew vegetables, which had everything in them( potatoes, onion, carrots, etc.) Very fast and easy, and came out tasting good. Will make again!
Dec 5, 2009
This was an excellent dinner recipe! I baked the chicken first, and cut it into small pieces before adding to the dish. I also used a bag of stew vegetables to save time, and added my own potato. I added a bit of thyme as well. Overall a fantastic recipe I look forward to making again.