Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, cook celery, carrots and onion until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and remaining salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute longer. Whisk in 2 cups chicken broth; cook and stir until thickened. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in bay leaves, thyme and remaining chicken broth.
- For dumplings, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in milk and butter to form a thick batter. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low until bubbly and dumplings are set, 6-8 hours. Discard bay leaves. Remove insert and let stand, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 dumpling with 1 cup sauce: 370 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1245mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2019
Prep is more like 30 min, but who worth it. We substituted thigh with breast since we had it already. It was amazing!
Dec 21, 2018
Sorry, but we didn't care for this at all. All you could taste was the thyme, and the dumplings had way too much butter. Won't make this again.
Oct 11, 2018
Tried over the weekend and it was awesome
Sep 25, 2018
This recipe looks delicious!