Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
Here's a homey dish that people just can't wait to dive into! Yes, you can have chicken and dumplings from the slow cooker. The homemade classic takes a bit of work but is certainly worth it. —Daniel Anderson, Kenosha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, cook celery, carrots and onion until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and remaining salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute longer. Whisk in 2 cups chicken broth; cook and stir until thickened. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in bay leaves, thyme and remaining chicken broth.
- For dumplings, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in milk and butter to form a thick batter. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low until bubbly and dumplings are set, 6-8 hours. Discard bay leaves. Remove insert and let stand, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 dumpling with 1 cup sauce: 370 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1245mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.