Simple Chicken and Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven or kettle, combine the broth, celery, carrots, bay leaf and 1 teaspoon parsley; bring to a boil.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, thyme and nutmeg; stir in milk and remaining parsley just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling broth. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- With a slotted spoon, remove dumplings to a serving dish; keep warm. Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Spoon over dumplings.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 452 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1431mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Oct 19, 2014
Delicious....added mushrooms and used homemade biscuit...will definitely make again.
Jul 17, 2014
I had never made dumplings before and didn't mix them enough before dropping into the broth so I would recommend stirring just a little beyond "just moistened". My dumplings turned into awkward lumps instead of pretty dumplings, but even so, it was absolutely delicious!
Feb 2, 2014
Wonderful, the whole family loved it and that is saying something. However I did add frozen peas.
Jun 29, 2013
This was easy and tasted good
Nov 8, 2011
I love this recipe, very close to the chicken and dumplings I used to make. I usually double the dumplings.