Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- In a saucepan, combine cornmeal, salt and water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until very thick. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in corn, butter, onion and pepper; let stand for 3 minutes. Add egg; mix well. In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour and baking powder. Add to cornmeal mixture; beat well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in remaining flour to lightly coat. In a Dutch oven or kettle, bring broth to a boil. Add dumplings. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 178 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1498mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 22, 2013
We liked these alot. I used cooked corn removed from the cob. Thanks for the recipe.
Sep 30, 2010
These dumplings were so delicious & goes well with a talapia & spinach. They were a hit with my family !!! Thanks so Much for this lovely recipe :)