This is my mom's recipe, and I'm happy to share it. The dumplings are out of this world, and they complement the tart cherries.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine the cherries with juice, 3/4 cup sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering cherry mixture. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts2 each: 216 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruit Dumplings in Reminisce February/March 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.