Corn Chowder with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 3 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHEDDAR CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the broth, corn, potatoes, cream, chipotle pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and cheese just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chowder.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 577 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 1424mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2013
A new family favorite!! I did double the dumpling recipe and only use 1 onion. Perfect for a cold evening!!
Nov 23, 2011
I used milk instead of whipping cream (didn't have any) and mozzarella instead of cheddar (didn't have any of that either)
Jan 14, 2011
I made this for my family and we all loved it. I will be making this again. FANTASTIC!!!
Aug 9, 2010
This is probably my favorite chowder. My mother made this just to try it out and we couldn't stop eating it. I thought I was going to explode! Thanks so much for adding such a great recipe to our family cook books.