Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion, green pepper and celery in butter until tender. Add bay leaf, tomatoes, brown sugar, basil, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter. Add parsley and milk; stir just until mixed.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the simmering tomato mixture, creating six mounds; cover tightly and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the dumplings comes out clean. Discard bay leaf. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 236 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 833mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 7, 2016
Can't believe I never rated this recipe - have been making it since it first appeared in the magazine, back in 1993. The only change I make is omitting the green pepper. It's very tasty!
Jan 23, 2013
I used the dumplings portion of this recipe with my own recipe for tomato soup. The dumplings will be a new staple for my family!
Dec 4, 2012
My husband loved this so much that he's requested it any time we have beef! I like it because it was simple to make with big taste.
Mar 8, 2011
My mom use to make tomato dumpling all the time and it was one of my favorites. I never got the recipe from her, she was also from Texas. When I would tell others about this favorite, hoping to find the recipe, they would just look at me like they had never heard of such a thing. Thank You, can't wait to slap a lip on this delish dish again.
Feb 8, 2010
I like to sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tops of the dumplings.